Eindhoven, Netherlands and Hamburg, Germany, August 11, 2011 – NXP Semiconductors N.V. (NASDAQ: NXPI) today announced the PBSM5240PF, an ultra-compact Medium Power transistor and N-channel Trench MOSFET housed in a leadless DFN2020-6 (SOT1118) plastic package. Measuring only 2 x 2 mm and with a height of just 0.65 mm, the DFN2020-6 (SOT1118) has been designed in response to the industry trend for miniaturization in high-performance consumer products such as mobile devices.
As one of the first power management solutions on the market to integrate a low VCE(sat) BISS transistor and Trench MOSFET into a 2-in-1 product, the PBSM5240PF saves space on the PCB, while delivering high electrical performance.
Compared to conventional solutions, which require two packages for the Breakthrough in Small Signal (BISS)/MOSFET solution, the PBSM5240PF offers a more than 50 percent reduction in footprint and more than 10 percent decrease in package height. Also, because the DFN2020-6 (SOT1118) package incorporates a heat sink, the device delivers 25 percent improved thermal performance, which leads to higher currents up to 2 A and less power consumption.
The PBSM5240PF is used as part of the charging circuit in portable batteries for cell phones, MP3 players or other portable devices. It can also be used in load switch or battery-driven devices that require best-in-class thermal performance for higher currents with a tiny footprint.
- “What makes the BISS/MOSFET solution both unique and attractive to the portable devices industry is its tiny footprint combined with impressive electrical and thermal performance in a leadless package. With a maximum voltage of 40 volts, this integrated package is ideally suited for today’s miniaturized, slimline mobile devices, where height and board space are serious design constraints and every millimeter is at a premium,” said Joachim Stange, product manager, NXP Semiconductors.
Key features of the PBSM5240PF BISS transistor and N-channel Trench MOSFET include:
- High collector current capability IC and ICM
- High collector current gain (hFE) at high IC
- High energy efficiency due to less heat generation
- Very low collector-emitter saturation voltage VCEsat
- DFN2020-6 package in 2 x 2 mm requires less Printed-Circuit Board (PCB) area
The NXP PBSM5240PF Breakthrough in Small Signal (BISS) transistor and N-channel Trench MOSFET is available immediately from key distributors worldwide.
- Leaflet about the NXP PBSM5240PF BISS/MOSFET solution
- Data sheet about the PBSM5240PF
- Information about NXP’s complete range of Low VCEsat (BISS) transistors
- Information about NXP MOSFETs
NXP Semiconductors N.V. (NASDAQ: NXPI) provides High Performance Mixed Signal and Standard Product solutions that leverage its leading RF, Analog, Power Management, Interface, Security and Digital Processing expertise. These innovations are used in a wide range of automotive, identification, wireless infrastructure, lighting, industrial, mobile, consumer and computing applications. A global semiconductor company with operations in more than 25 countries, NXP posted revenue of $4.4 billion in 2010.