Amsterdam, Netherlands, October 4, 2011 - NXP Semiconductors N.V. (NASDAQ: NXPI) and leading energy management solutions provider Landis+Gyr will showcase smart meters with integrated NFC technology. NFC is a revolutionary wireless technology that enables devices such as smartphones to connect and interact securely with other NFC-enabled devices, such as smart meters. Using NFC, authorized utilities and end-consumers will be able to conveniently access and read smart meter data in real time using a smartphone.
The NFC-enabled smart meter brings together NXP, the global leader in NFC solutions and contactless readers, with Landis+Gyr. The smart meter demonstrator, which integrates the Landis+Gyr E350 modular electricity meter and the NXP PN512 contactless transceiver IC supporting NFC, will be featured in the NXP booth (D02) and in the Landis+Gyr booth (C30) at the Metering Europe event, held in Amsterdam from October 4th through 6th.
Facts for the showcase at Metering Europe:
- NXP and Landis+Gyr will be showing NFC use cases for visual display, including using an NFC phone to replace the LCD display in smart metering devices, for cost savings and convenience. The NFC smart meter demonstrator will also show how an NFC handset can be used to visualize current and historical energy consumption based on data stored in the meter via a mobile app.
- From a security standpoint, the demo will show how the embedded secure element in NFC handsets can be used to manage the privacy of individual households, while providing the appropriate level of access for installation and service technicians.
- In addition, authorized maintenance technicians can download metering information to handsets or tablets, or upload firmware if required to the meter via NFC.
- A further use case is secure pairing of devices to enable home area network (HAN) communication.
- Finally, NXP and Landis+Gyr will discuss how NFC phones can be used for secure and convenient pre-payment of electricity and other utilities, alongside contactless cards.
- Both Landis+Gyr and NXP are active in supporting US and EU-driven initiatives to establish smart grids.
- The NFC smart meter demonstrator will also be showcased at CarteS 2011, which will be held in Paris from November 14th to 17th, in the “At home” demo area of the NXP booth (4J 035, Hall 4).
NXP Semiconductors N.V. (NASDAQ: NXPI) provides High Performance Mixed Signal and Standard Product solutions that leverage its leading RF, Analog, Power Management, Interface, Security and Digital Processing expertise. These innovations are used in a wide range of automotive, identification, wireless infrastructure, lighting, industrial, mobile, consumer and computing applications. A global semiconductor company with operations in more than 25 countries, NXP posted revenue of $4.4 billion in 2010. For more information visit www.nxp.com.