Eindhoven, Netherlands and Sheffield, UK, November 19, 2012 – NXP Semiconductors N.V. (NASDAQ: NXPI) today announced the JN516x family – its next generation of ultra-low-power wireless microcontrollers for JenNet-IP™, ZigBee® and other IEEE 802.15.4 applications. Integrating a 2.45-GHz radio and analog peripherals with microcontroller functionality in a single die, the JN516x wireless microcontrollers are the only single-chip devices in the industry to support JenNet-IP, ZigBee Light Link, ZigBee Smart Energy, ZigBee Home Automation and RF4CE. The JN516x family also offers best-in-class memory options, with up to 256 kB of embedded flash, 4 kB of on-chip EEPROM and 32 kB of RAM on the JN5168 to support the latest network stacks. Another key feature is in-packet antenna diversity, which allows systems to choose the best antenna on every packet received.
“The JN5168 is our newest wireless microcontroller for the ‘Internet of Things’ – ideal for applications ranging from smart lighting and home automation to building automation and wireless sensor networks. With extensive on-chip memory and RAM, design engineers can do more with a much lower bill of materials, while taking advantage of NXP’s expertise in a wide range of software stacks based on the 802.15.4 standard,” said Marcel Walgering, general manager, Smart Home and Energy product line, NXP Semiconductors.
Currently sampling with lead customers, JN516x evaluation kits and chips will be available from leading distributors in January 2013. An energy harvesting demo with CHERRY can be viewed here: http://youtu.be/gqve3K4hufQ
The JN516x wireless microcontroller family will include:
- JN5161 for RF4CE and IEEE 802.15.4 applications with 64 kB flash, 8 kB RAM, 4 kB EEPROM
- JN5164 for JenNet-IP, ZigBee Home Automation and ZigBee Light Link applications with 160 kB flash, 32 kB RAM, 4 kB EEPROM
- JN5168 for ZigBee Smart Energy applications and JenNet-IP gateways with 256 kB flash, 32 kB RAM, 4 kB EEPROM
- A single evaluation kit suitable for all stacks
- A new range of modules using the JN5168 chip, including variants with printed antenna, uFI connector, ETSI 10-dbm mode PA/LNA, and an FCC 20-dbm PA/LNA for long-range applications
- JN5168 product information: http://www.nxp.com/pip/JN5168
- JN5164 product information: http://www.nxp.com/pip/JN5164
- JN5161 product information: http://www.nxp.com/pip/JN5161
About NXP Semiconductors
NXP Semiconductors N.V. (NASDAQ: NXPI) provides High Performance Mixed Signal and Standard Product solutions that leverage its leading RF, Analog, Power Management, Interface, Security and Digital Processing expertise. These innovations are used in a wide range of automotive, identification, wireless infrastructure, lighting, industrial, mobile, consumer and computing applications. A global semiconductor company with operations in more than 25 countries, NXP posted revenue of $4.2 billion in 2011. Additional information can be found by visiting www.nxp.com.