NXP continues its leading position in I²C-bus devices, offering you a vast portfolio of I²C logic products used for communication and protocol conversion. Our I²C solutions are ideal for many systems using SMBus, AdvancedTCA (ATCA) IPMI, and PMBus. You can also choose from a comprehensive selection of other semiconductor ICs with I²C-bus interfaces.
Interface and connectivity
I2C Ultra Fast-mode (UFm) Debuts on NXP Devices...
New and updated products
- Basestation – discretes focus / transceiver board
- Digital media adapters
- LCD display – discretes focus
- PCI analog / DVB-T stereo TV receiver
- UMA-enabled GSM/GPRS/EDGE VAS Phone (6100)
Design tools & Assets
- Development Tools for ARM-based microcontrollers (pdf) (2014-04-18)
- 1-MHz I2C-bus control on longer buses; NXP Fast-mode Plus parallel bus to I2C-bus controller PCA9665 (pdf) (2006-10-01)
- I2C-bus Components Selection Guide (pdf) (2013-06-03)
- 3 Keys to Faster Mobile Innovation (pdf) (2013-03-05)
Training & events
New Fast-mode Plus devices operate at 1 MHz up to 540 pF
NXP's new I²C Fast-mode Plus (Fm+) devices go from zero to 1 MHz so you can go to the next design level with higher data rates and up to 540 pF bus loading. In computing, telecom and networking systems architecture the trend is for greater use of I²C-bus as a maintenance and control bus, so more bandwidth and more devices on the bus is required.
The I²C-bus appears in virtually every application. In cellular handsets, LED blinkers and dimmers can control keypad, fun lighting and status LEDs. These ICs can also be used for more advanced status or illumination control while off-loading host processors in LCD displays. LCD segment or LCD matrix drivers with an I²C interface are ideal for cordless telephone handsets.
I²C serial EEPROM can store preset information in an MP3 player or large LCD display, where PAL or NTSC settings during manufacture are set using I²C DIP switches. For environmental sensing, I²C temperature sensors can monitor local temperatures: particularly important in wireless basestations, where I²C repeaters / hubs / extenders are also used, to isolate capacitance from the backplane.