AC Thyristors (ACTs) are a new technology providing the ultimate in over-voltage withstand capability and noise immunity for White Goods and other major appliances. They are intended for small, highly inductive as well as resistive loads.
AC power switch with over-voltage protection and common mounting base
Key features and benefits
- Full cycle AC conduction
- Load current (IT) 0.2 A and 0.8 A
- Exclusive negative gate triggering – triggering in two quadrants only
- Remote gate structure separates gate driver from effects of load current
- Common terminal at the mounting base
- Safe clamping of low energy over-voltage transients
- Protective self turn-on with high energy voltage transients
- Clamping structure ensures safe over-voltage withstand capability to IEC 61000-4-5
- Sensitive gate (IGT = 5 mA or 10 mA) for easy logic level triggering
- Direct interfacing with low power drivers and microcontrollers
- Very high immunity to false turn-on by dV/dt
- Planar passivated for voltage ruggedness and reliability
- Superior reliability and product quality
- Large and small appliances (White Goods)
- Highly inductive, resistive and safety loads
- Loads such as contactors, circuit breakers, valves, dispensers and door locks
- Small motor controllers
Design tools & Assets
- AC Thyristor with overvoltage handling capability; NXP AC Thyristor ACT108/ACT108W (pdf) (2009-12-01)
Training & events
AC Thyristors (ACTs) are full cycle AC conduction power switches with exclusive negative gate triggering in two quadrants only and with self-protection against low and high energy over-voltage transients. Their specially designed structure ensures safe over-voltage withstand capability to IEC 61000-4-5. Protective self turn-on will follow high energy voltage transients, while lower energy transients will be clamped. They have very high noise immunity, while a remote gate structure separates the trigger circuit from the effects of the load current. Their planar-passivated construction ensures voltage ruggedness and reliability.
ACTs are not pin compatible with either 3Q Hi-Com or standard 4Q triacs. Surface-mount ACTs facilitate a shared cooling pad as the common terminal is on the mounting base.
ACT employs our fifth-generation, triple-implanted planar passivated technology. The extra performance and superior reliability of ACT make it ideally suited to a wide range of applications that contain low power, highly inductive, resistive and safety loads. Loads include contactors, circuit breakers, valves, dispensers, door locks, pump motors and micro motors. Applications include washing machines, dishwashers, refrigerators, vending machines, plumbed-in water heaters and coolers, coffee machines, bathroom equipment, drink dispensers, pumps, fans and more.
|Type number||Description||Status||Quick access|
|ACT102H-600D||AC Thyristor power switch||Download datasheet|
|ACT108-600D||AC Thyristor power switch||Download datasheet|
|ACT108-600E||AC Thyristor power switch||Download datasheet|
|ACT108W-600D||AC Thyristor power switch||Download datasheet|
|ACT108W-600E||AC Thyristor power switch||Download datasheet|