Bleeding-edge media capabilities now available on a single chip with i.MX 8M applications processor
LAS VEGAS, Jan. 09, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- CES 2018 -- Voice commands will dominate 50 percent of all searches in the next two years¹, increasingly thinner TVs are driving the popularity of sound bars for home automation, and consumers are embracing the Internet-of-Things (IoT) for creating more convenient richer sensory-driven experiences. To address the convergence of immersive sensory experiences fueled by voice, video and audio demands, NXP Semiconductors N.V. (NASDAQ:NXPI) has launched the i.MX 8M family of applications processors. The processors combine robust media capabilities on one chip to deliver a solid foundation for a new sensory world transformation.
In collaboration with key ecosystem leaders to enable seamless connectivity and intuitive experiences into the market, NXP i.MX 8M fueled by voice, video and audio help deliver a sensory world to meet the computing world.
“Interacting with machines will be as natural as using your human senses,” said Martyn Humphries, vice president of consumer and industrial i.MX applications processor. “For instance, you can give a voice command to stream a specific TV episode and then ask a contextual question about the actor which initiates a search and displays results on the screen – all while your show is still streaming.”
The NXP i.MX 8M processors address designers’ requirements for one platform that combines A/V and machine learning to create connected products that can be controlled via voice command. The chips provide the process technology and edge computing needs to manage and reduce the command and question response time of smart connected devices. From smart TVs, television subscription services, sound bars and other smart speakers, to streaming media players and DVR/PVR, the i.MX 8M is leading the way for residential IoT and device control. The processor family is also ideal for managing lighting, thermostats, door locks, home security, smart sprinklers, other systems and devices for a more intuitive and responsive home environment.
NXP’s i.MX 8M family enables next-generation capabilities for seamless consumer interfaces with features that include:
- Industry-leading video and audio capabilities with full 4K Ultra HD resolution, High Dynamic Range (HDR) and the highest levels of pro-audio fidelity
- Performance and versatility with up to four 1.5 GHz ARM Cortex-A53 cores, flexible memory options, and high-speed interfaces for flexible connectivity
- Advanced Human Machine Interface (HMI) featuring dual displays, vision procession unit (VPU), and an enriched user experience
- Scalability and pin-and-power compatibility
The i.MX 8M applications processors are available now. For more information, please visit www.nxp.com/iMX8M.
See NXP’s cutting-edge smart home capabilities in action at CES 2018
NXP will showcase its i.MX applications processor family at the NXP CES 2018 booth, CP-25, in Las Vegas between January 9-12.
Demonstrations will include:
- The i.MX 8M processor that will be driving voice, video, and audio all at the same time, while also displaying 4K HDR, dual screen and immersive audio capabilities.
- Android Things demos of drawing robots (drawbots) that use on-device processing power to sketch attendee selfies in real-time, and Manny, a Things-powered robotic hand (handbot) that uses TensorFlow plus computer vision to mirror hand gestures and play games.
- An Alexa solution with leading features such as display support, multi-room audio and integrated talk-to-call.
For more information, visit www.nxp.com/androidthings or www.nxp.com/alexa.
¹ Gartner Research
About NXP Semiconductors
NXP Semiconductors N.V. (NASDAQ: NXPI) enables secure connections and infrastructure for a smarter world, advancing solutions that make lives easier, better and safer. As the world leader in secure connectivity solutions for embedded applications, NXP is driving innovation in the secure connected vehicle, end-to-end security & privacy and smart connected solutions markets. Built on more than 60 years of combined experience and expertise, the company has 30,000 employees in more than 33 countries and posted revenue of $9.5 billion in 2016. Find out more at www.nxp.com.
NXP and the NXP logo are trademarks of NXP B.V. All other product or service names are the property of their respective owners. ARM and Cortex are trademarks or registered trademarks of ARM Ltd or its subsidiaries in the EU and/or elsewhere. All rights reserved. All rights reserved. © 2017 NXP B.V.
For more information, please contact:
A photo accompanying this announcement is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/NewsRoom/AttachmentNg/ed774d5f-a117-4a88-86af-ea305ab0711e
NXP USA, Inc.