Sustainability is meeting our own needs without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs.
Our annual Corporate Sustainability Report (CSR) was published on March 25th, where we not only address environmental issues, but also the need for social and economic resources. We are providing increasing transparency in our CSR, because it is in the interest of our employees, potential recruits, customers, investors and suppliers. Reporting on our progress in such detail is not a legal obligation, but we hold ourselves accountable to report an accurate reflection of our efforts, achievements and intentions.
To be a socially responsible and transparent company, we must continue this journey. This CSR provides highlights and accomplishments, but also adds more in-depth efforts, such as: how we engage, treat and train our employees, how we are increasing our efforts to promote diversity, equality and inclusion within our culture and even how we manage paying our taxes around the globe to benefit societies economically. We include strategies, statistics and long-term initiatives to showcase that this is our personal journey. Our dedication to transparency is our way to focus on continuous improvement.
From the very top of our organization, we are committed to being a responsible company, not because we must be, but because it is the right and ethical thing to do. It is ingrained in our culture to focus on doing the right things because they are the right things to do.
"Sustainability is a journey, not a destination. As we proceed on this journey, we will continue working with our partners to create a more sustainable world – together".
-Kurt Sievers, NXP CEO and President
We Highlight in the 2020 CSR:
- COVID-19 had an impact on our sustainability projects, but we also came together as a company and used our technologies to enable critical, life-saving solutions, including ventilators urgently needed to support the sickest COVID-19 patients. The ability to play an active role in fighting the ongoing pandemic by delivering precise and reliable medical-grade components was made possible by the collaboration of our employees, suppliers and customers.
- Diversity, Equality and Inclusion was an area that we focused on in 2020, in which we appointed a Head of Diversity, Equality and Inclusion to ensure our working environment and culture support equal access to opportunities, attract and retain the best talent.
- Human rights also remained a focus in our supply chain, as these challenging times may pose an increased risk of human rights abuses. We engaged our supply chain with surveys to verify their protection of workers’ human rights and measures they take to keep workers safe and protected. Our dedicated labor and human rights program also received high rankings from two non-profit organizations that benchmarked our performance in the Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) industry: #5 among 44 companies by the Corporate Human Rights Benchmark and #8 among 49 companies by Know the Chain.
- Health and Safety of our employees has always been a top priority for NXP. We responded quickly to the global pandemic and implemented additional safety measure to protect employees in both essential and non-essential job functions. We are also pleased to report that our dedicated focus on employee safety resulted in our lowest-ever injury rate of 0.08 (per 100 employees/working hours). This is well below the semiconductor-industry averages published by the European Semiconductor Industry Association (ESIA) and the Semiconductor Industry Association (SIA), which range from 0.5 to 0.9.
- We are happy to announce that we met our 2020 carbon footprint goal. We reduced our carbon footprint by 30%, from a baseline of 2010. In addition, we reduced our absolute emissions of PerFluorinated Compounds (PFCs), which are greenhouse gases, by 66%.
In this report, we also wanted to provide a taste of the hard work, commitment and enthusiasm of our teams with various projects completed in 2020, to showcase our dedicated workforce that strives to move the needle for a more sustainable world.
We are proud of our long, solid record as a company when it comes to sustainability.
Contact the NXP Sustainability team at CSR@nxp.com. We value your input.