NXP continues its leading position in I²C-bus devices, offering you a vast portfolio of I²C logic products used for communication and protocol conversion. Our I²C solutions are ideal for many systems using SMBus, AdvancedTCA (ATCA) IPMI, and PMBus. You can also choose from a comprehensive selection of other semiconductor ICs with I²C-bus interfaces.
Interface and connectivity
New and updated products
- Basestation – discretes focus / transceiver board
- Digital media adapters
- LCD display – discretes focus
- PCI analog / DVB-T stereo TV receiver
- UMA-enabled GSM/GPRS/EDGE VAS Phone (6100)
Design tools & Assets
- I2C/SMBus buffers for backplane multi-point and hot-swap applications; NXP Level-shifting and hot-swappable I2C/SMBus buffers PCA951xA (pdf) (2008-07-01)
- Extend standard I2C-bus devices without worrying about offset voltages; NXP I2C-bus extender P82B715 in a proven application (pdf) (2008-05-01)
- NXP I2C-bus solutions 2014: Smart, simple solutions for the 12 most common design concerns (pdf) (2014-08-01)
- NXP PCA9600 daughter card OM6293 (pdf) (2011-02-17)
- Convenient parallel I/O expansion or collection via the I2C/SMBus; NXP Octal SMBus registered interface PCA9557 (pdf) (2008-08-01)
- Versatile, easy-to-use GPIO expanders; NXP 4/8/16-bit I2C/SMBus GPIO expanders PCA9536/54/54A/55 (pdf) (2008-08-01)
- Extend the I2C-bus with advanced repeaters and hubs; NXP 2-channel I2C-bus repeaters PCA9515x and 5-channel I2C-bus hubs PCA9516x (pdf) (2008-07-01)
- Accommodate more I2C-bus devices on a single bus; NXP expandable 5-channel I2C-bus hub PCA9518A (pdf) (2007-08-01)
- LED blinking with GPIO expansion; NXP 2/4/8/16-bit I2C/SMBus LED blinkers PCA9550/51/52/53 (pdf) (2007-06-01)
- Low-power GPIO expanders for portable applications; NXP 8/16-bit I2C/SMBus GPIO expanders PCA9534/35/35C for low-power applications (pdf) (2007-06-01)
- Combination GPIO expanders and EEPROMs for smaller boards; NXP 8-bit I2C/SMBus GPIO expanders with 2-K EEPROM PCA9500/01 (pdf) (2007-06-01)
- I2C-bus Components Selection Guide (pdf) (2013-06-03)
- 3 Keys to Faster Mobile Innovation (pdf) (2013-03-05)
Training & events
New Fast-mode Plus devices operate at 1 MHz up to 540 pF
NXP's new I²C Fast-mode Plus (Fm+) devices go from zero to 1 MHz so you can go to the next design level with higher data rates and up to 540 pF bus loading. In computing, telecom and networking systems architecture the trend is for greater use of I²C-bus as a maintenance and control bus, so more bandwidth and more devices on the bus is required.
The I²C-bus appears in virtually every application. In cellular handsets, LED blinkers and dimmers can control keypad, fun lighting and status LEDs. These ICs can also be used for more advanced status or illumination control while off-loading host processors in LCD displays. LCD segment or LCD matrix drivers with an I²C interface are ideal for cordless telephone handsets.
I²C serial EEPROM can store preset information in an MP3 player or large LCD display, where PAL or NTSC settings during manufacture are set using I²C DIP switches. For environmental sensing, I²C temperature sensors can monitor local temperatures: particularly important in wireless basestations, where I²C repeaters / hubs / extenders are also used, to isolate capacitance from the backplane.