3. Install and Configure Software and Tools
The programming/evaluation boards are always delivered with the GUI firmware already flashed. If MCU firmware already flashed, you can ignore this section. If it is specified that firmware must be updated or it is malfunctioning, follow these instructions.
If bootloader is already loaded in the FRDM-KL25Z board, steps 1-3 are not required. Start from step 4.
- Disable the Storage Service and Windows Search: Run Services, double click, and stop them as shown in Figure 2
- Press the RST push button and connect the USB cable to the SDA port on the FRDM-KL25Z board
- A new “bootloader” device appears on the left pane of the file explorer
- Drag and drop the file “MSD-DEBUG-FRDM-KL25Z_Pemicro_v118.SDA” to the bootloader drive. Ensure that there is enough time for the firmware to be saved in the bootloader
- Disconnect the USB cable, then reconnect it to the SDA port without pressing the RST push button
- This time, FRDM_KL25Z device appears on the left pane of the file explorer as in Figure 3
Locate the file “nxp-gui-fw-frdmkl25z-usb_hid-device_.bin” from the package. Drag and drop this file into the FRDM_KL25Z device. Ensure that there is enough time for the firmware to be saved
Freedom board firmware is successfully loaded. Disconnect the USB-cable and reconnect it to the KL25Z USB port
To install the "NXP GUI for Automotive PMIC Families" or obtain the NXP GUI package, unzip an open "1 - NXP_GUI_Setup" folder as shown in Figure 4
Then double click on the "NXP_GUI-version-Setup.exe" shown in Figure 5 and follow the instructions.
Select the options shown in Figure 8 before completing the installation of the setup:
Select Finish to complete the installation.
When installation is finished, you can search the application on the Windows search bar as “NXPGUI”. Click to launch.