2. Get Software
2.1 Build and Run Wi-Fi Demo from the SDK
2.2 Explore the MCUXpresso SDK Documentation
The MCUXpresso SDK includes detailed Wi-Fi related documents that will guide you through the enabling process. The documentation is available under:
2.3 Explore the MCUXpresso SDK Wi-Fi Example Application
The MCUXpresso SDK comes with several example applications, Wi-Fi examples are grouped under:
2.4 Building and Debugging Wi-Fi Example from MCUXpresso SDK
The NXP Wi-Fi Applications User's Guide document provides step-by-step instructions on how to configure, build and debug the Wi-Fi demos for the toolchains supported by the SDK.
The wifi_cli demo is one of the Wi-Fi examples applications available in the SDK. It implements several useful features that can help you as a reference on your development, such as: Scan the visible access points, connect to an access point, start your own acces point, print network information, enable deep sleep operation, and run a throughput test.
Use the guide below to learn how to load, build and debug the wifi_cli demo application in MCUXpresso IDE.
Building and Running a Wi-Fi Demo
The MCUXpresso SDK provides a collection of Wi-Fi example applications.
Follow these steps to import, configure, build, debug and run a Wi-Fi demo example through MCUXpresso IDE. This guide will use i.MX RT 1060 as reference, but similar steps apply to other EVKs.
Import SDK to your MCUXpresso Workspace
- Open the MCUXpresso IDE
- Switch to the ‘Installed SDKs’ view within the MCUXpresso IDE window
- If you haven’t imported the SDK into MCUXpresso IDE, drag and drop the SDK for your development board (in zip format) into the “Installed SDKs” section. You will get the following pop-up. Click on OK to continue the import
- The SDK will now appear in the Installed SDK's view as shown below:
Build the Application
The following steps will guide you to build and run the
application using MCUXpresso IDE.
wifi_cli application demonstrates how to implement different features.
- Perform a Network scan
- Connect to an Access Point
- Start your own Access Point
- Enable Deep Sleep operation
- TCP and UDP throughput measurements acting as a server or as a client
- Print network information
- Locate the Quickstart Panel in the lower left-hand corner
- Click on ‘Import SDK example(s)…
- Select your evaluation board and click on Next
Use the arrow button to expand the wifi_examples category and click the checkbox next to
wifi_cli to select that project. Then, click on
The demo is pre-configured with a Wi-Fi module that can easily be adjusted. Open the
wifi_cli/source/app_config.h file and verify the Wi-Fi modules available for your SDK. Modify the value to match the module on your setup to include and compile the desired driver, components and application(s). Open the readme file for any hardware configuration required by your EVK and module.
- Save the project
- Select the project and build it
- The project should build without problems
Build the Application
- Make sure that the Wi-Fi module is attached to the EVK and connect your board to your computer
- Download the application to your i.MX RT-EVK
- Select the debug probe of the board connected to your PC
- Before you start your application, open a Serial Terminal application (ie. PuTTY, TeraTerm). You can find instructions to set up a Terminal application on the EVK’s Getting Started website → Section 2: Get Software → PC Configuration
- Click on the Resume button to start the application
- You should see the output of the application
- Click on ‘Terminate’ button to stop the debugging session
<SDK path> /docs/wireless/UM11442-NXP-Wi-Fi-and-Bluetooth-Demo-Applications-for-i.MX-RT-platforms-User-Guide.pdf document available in the SDK for detailed instructions to run all Wi-Fi demos.
To learn more about all Wi-Fi example applications and additional features supported by the Wi-Fi module, browse to the wireless documentation folder available in the SDK.