The UJA1078 core System Basis Chip (SBC) replaces the basic discrete components commonly found in Electronic Control Units (ECU) with a high-speed Controller Area Network (CAN) and two Local Interconnect Network (LIN) interfaces.
The UJA1078 supports the networking applications used to control power and sensor peripherals by using a high-speed CAN as the main network interface and the LIN interfaces as local sub-busses.
The core SBC contains the following integrated devices:
- High-speed CAN transceiver, inter-operable and downward compatible with CAN transceiver TJA1042, and compatible with the ISO 11898-2 and ISO 11898-5 standards
- LIN transceivers compliant with LIN 2.1, LIN 2.0 and SAE J2602, and compatible with LIN 1.3
- Advanced independent watchdog (UJA1078/xx/WD versions)
- 250 mA voltage regulator for supplying a microcontroller; extendable with external PNP transistor for increased current capability and dissipation distribution
- Separate voltage regulator for supplying the on-board CAN transceiver
- Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI) (full duplex)
- 2 local wake-up input ports
- Limp home output port
In addition to the advantages gained from integrating these common ECU functions in a single package, the core SBC offers an intelligent combination of system-specific functions such as:
- Advanced low-power concept
- Safe and controlled system start-up behavior
- Detailed status reporting on system and sub-system levels
> The UJA1078 is designed to be used in combination with a microcontroller that incorporates a CAN controller. The SBC ensures that the microcontroller always starts up in a controlled manner.