1. Get Started
The NXP analog product development boards provide an easy-to-use platform for
evaluating NXP products. The boards support a range of analog, mixed-signal, and power solutions.
They incorporate monolithic integrated circuits and system-in-package devices that use proven
high-volume technology. NXP products offer longer battery life, a smaller form factor, reduced
component counts, lower cost, and improved performance in powering state-of-the-art systems.
This page will guide you through learning about how to set up the ASL5015EVBMST evaluation board
1.1 Kit contents/packing list
The ASL5015EVBMST contents include:
- Assembled and tested evaluation board
- Cable harness for power supply and CAN (FD) communication
1.2 Required equipment
Working with the ASL5015EVBMST requires the kit contents, additional hardware and
a Windows PC workstation with installed software.
- 12 V power supply. Current requirements depend on intended loads (number of follower board hanging from
Leader board). The current consumption of each module has to be considered as 0.015 A
- S32K144EVB-Q100 to control the Matrix LED Controller's evaluation board (only in case of GUI usage)
- The NXP LED Drivers and Controllers application; a Graphical User Interface (GUI). Available in
- (Optional) Vector CANoe software (https://www.vector.com/). Already developed simulations available
- This kit may be used with the user's own software or different stimuli sources; however, those tools
are not part of this documentation
- Note: The GUI can be found in DocStore, in the following path: LED drivers and controllers /
Evaluation boards / ASL45XASLX41 EVB / GUI for ASL45XASLX41 EVB
1.3 System requirements
This evaluation board requires a Windows PC workstation. Meeting these minimum specifications should
produce great results when working with this evaluation board.
- USB-enabled computer with Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 10
1.4 User manual
Refer to UM11224 - ASL5x15 Evaluation Boards - User Guide
for full individual evaluation board functionality.
2. Know the Board
2.1 Board overview
The ASL5015EVBMST evaluation board features a ASL5x15SHN IC, a highly integrated and flexible Matrix LED
Controller (MLC). The kit is designed to drive 12 LEDs or segments with up to 1.5 A max. current. In a
default application, a microprocessor unit (MCU) controls the devices through a Controller Area Network
(CAN) interface. The MCU controls the dimming profiles of each individual channel. The ASL5x15SHN also
feature several diagnostic readings to allow a detection of errors in the system. A maximum of 9 follower
boards can hang from a single leader board.
2.2 Boards features
The ASL5015EVBMST board features include:
- Control of one ASL5x15SHN Matrix LED Controller (MLC)
- Option to control any NXP ASL5xxxyHN Matrix LED Controller (HVQFN part numbers). All part numbers
are pin to pin compatible.
- Interface connector to the S32K144EVB-Q100, through CAN protocol communication (only available in
- Power supply connector (+12 V and GND). Combined with the S32K144EVB-Q100 interface (only available
in leader EVB)
- Interface connector to a single or multiple LED boards
- Dip switch to select device address in CAN bus
- Interface connector to hang a Follower board (see boards overview section)
- Interface connector to connect to a leader board or other follower board (only available in follower EVB).
2.3 Board Image
Important components on the ASL5015EVBMST
2.4 Accessory boards
2.4.1 ASL5015EVBSLAV Evaluation board
The leader board is populated with one UJA1163 System Basic Chip (SBC) IC, to enable the
communication with the microcontroller or Vector CANoe through CAN (FD) protocol, and to supply
the MLC populated in the same board, together with the MLCs populated in the follower boards
hanging from the leader board. A maximum of 9 follower boards can hang from a single leader board.
Figure identifies important components on the ASL5x15EVBSLAV
(figure 2 UM11224)
Example of connection between a leader board and a follower board. Up to 9 follower boards can hang
from a single Leader board.
2.4.2 S32K144EVBQ100 Evaluation board
The ASL5015EVBMST is compatible with the S32K144EVBQ100. The S32K144EVB-Q100 provides the control signals
(through CAN (FD) communication) for the ASL5x15SHN devices. When used with the GUI, the S32K144EVBQ100
drives the channels in the way as selected on the GUI. The S32K144EVB-Q100 can also be used as a system
processor to create standalone applications or prototype systems.
(figure 4 UM11224 aaa-030858)
2.4.3 ASL45XASLX41 - Multichannel LED driver system Evaluation Board
The ASLx500SHN and ASLx41xSHN Evaluation Board (EVB) features the ASL4500SHN, a highly integrated
and flexible four-phase DC-to-DC boost converter IC and two ASL3416SHN, a three-channel buck
mode LED driver IC delivering constant average DC current. The kit is designed to drive six LED
strings with 150 mA to 1.6 A and 2 V to 60 V LED string voltage. In a default application a
microprocessor unit (MCU) controls the devices through a serial peripheral interface (SPI).
The ASL5x15EVBMST is only connected to the CAN physical bus of the S32K144EVBQ100 and to the
LEDs. The ASL5x15EVBMST EVB is not directly connected to the ASL45XASLX41. More information on
the connection of the ASL45XASLX41 EVB can be found in the ASL45XASLX41 User guide (NDA required).
(Fig 6 UM11224 aaa030853)
2.5 Additional board support
Board block diagram, board description, test points and additional board descriptions and images are
available in the User Guide. Refer to
UM11224 - ASL5x15 Evaluation Boards - User Guide
3. Configure Hardware
3.1 Hardware configuration
A full system configuration is completed with the ASL5015EVBMST wired with cable harness for power supply
and CAN (FD) communication to the S32K144EVBQ100 associated by the connectors on the ASL45XASLX41
Multichannel LED board.
Can also be configured with up to 9 ASL5115EVBSLAV follower boards not shown. Customer can configure using
their own LED board.
3.2 Configuration image
To start working with the ASL5x15EVB, the following connections and setup must be performed:
- Connect the ASL5015EVBMST to the S32K144EVB. Do not forget to supply S32K144EVB-Q100 with 12 V, to
enable the CAN communication through the SBC
- With power turned off, attach S32K144EVB-Q100 12 V DC power supply to ASL5015EVBMST’s supply
- Attach an LED board (example shown in image) to the ASL5015EVBMST. Additionally, if there is one or
several follower EVB in the system, create a chain with the leader board using connectors X1 and X3
- (Optional) If using the optional ASL45XASLX41: attach the S32K144EVBQ100 to ASL45XASLX41, and supply
the LED boards with any of the available buck outputs
- Plug the USB cable from the mini connector end into the S32K144EVB-Q100
- Plug the USB cable standard connector end into the computer
- Turn on the power supply. The supply indicator LED (Red LED in ASL5x15EVBMST) (Green LED3 and LED4
in ASL45XASLX41) shall light up
- (Optional) Use GUI to drive all the evaluation boards (S32K144EVB-Q100, ASL45XASLX41 and all MLC's
- (Optional) Use Vector CANoe software to drive MLC's evaluation boards
- (Optional) Use your own software, microcontroller and LED driver module to evaluate the NXP's Matrix
LED Controller using its EVB
3.3 Additional ASL5015EVBMST board support
For detailed configuration and connection instructions refer to the images in
the UM11224 - ASL5x15 Evaluation Boards - User Guide
4. Install Software
4.1 Preparing graphical user interface operating environment
There are several steps to follow for the full system configuration using the ASL5015EVBMST,
ASL5015EVBSLAV, S32K144EVB-Q100, and the ASL45XASLX41 evaluation boards.
4.2 Downloading and flashing the S32K144EVB-Q100
To download and install the latest version of the S32K144EVB-Q100 software:
- Go to http://www.nxp.com/ASL45XASLX41
- Go to the Get Started section and download the Software and Design files (NDA required)
- Unzip the files to your computer
Flash the S32K144EVB-Q100:
- Connect the S32K144EVB-Q100 to your PC with a micro USB cable
- The S32K144EVB-Q100 is shown as a USB drive
- Copy the flash image (*.srec) file from the one downloaded and unzipped before to the root directory
of the S32K144EVB-Q100 USB drive
- The copy process will take about one minute. Once completed, the S32K144EVBQ100 is flashed and is
ready to be used with the GUI, the ASL5x15EVBMST, ASL5x15EVBSLAV and the ASL45XASLX41
4.3 Launching the GUI on your computer
The GUI provides easy control of all ASL5x15 EVB and ASL45XASLX41 EVB. To launch the GUI:
Note: The GUI can be found in DocStore, in the following path: LED drivers and controllers / Evaluation
boards / ASL45XASLX41 EVB / GUI for ASL45XASLX41 EVB
- Locate the GUI folder where you unzipped the GUI
- Start the GUI by calling the executable (*.exe) file
- The GUI opens with the startup window
The GUI is divided into several pages. Each page gives some control options to the user.
The GUI will always start up with the Setup page.
4.4 Complete step by step
Software and hardware instructions are detailed in the UM11224: ASL5x15 Evaluation Boards - User Guide
Additionally, enabling instructions are available on the S32K144EVB
tool summary page.
5. Learn More
Now start your embedded application development.
5.2 Product summary page
www.nxp.com/ASL5xxxyHz: Smart Matrix LED Controller
for Automotive Lighting.
5.3 Tool summary page
The overview section provides a description of the device, product features, a
list of the kit contents, a list of (and links to) supported devices, list of (and links
to) any related products and a Get Started section.
- Specifications: board technical specifications and features
- Documentation & Software: download current supporting documentation and software files
- Buy/Parametrics: purchase the product and view the product parametrics and kit contents
- Get help: supporting information such as communities and partner information
After downloading files, review each file, including the user guide which includes setup instructions.
5.4 For the entire solution
In addition to our ASL5xxxyHZ family Smart Matrix LED
Controller for Automotive Lighting devices you may also want to visit:
- S32K: 32-bit Automotive General-Purpose
- ASL341ySHN: Three-channel Automotive LED Buck
- ASL241ySHN: Two-channel Automotive LED Buck Driver
- ASL250ySHN: Two-Phase Automotive LED Boost Driver
with a Limp Home mode
- ASL4500SHN: Four-Phase Automotive LED Boost Driver
- ASL150ySHN: Single-Phase Automotive LED Boost
Driver with Limp Home mode
5.5 BUY the BOARD
ASL5015EVBMST Evaluation board Leader for Smart Matrix LED Controller for Automotive