4.1 Preparing graphical user interface operating environment
Download and run SW for the KITPF8200FRDMPGM programming board. These evaluation boards use FlexGUI software for PF8100/PF8200 device. Prior to the installation of the FlexGUI software and performing device firmware updates (if needed), download and unzip the NXP_FlexGUI_PF8x_REV_0.7.x.zip file to any desired location.
4.3 Installing FlexGUI software package
The FlexGUI software installation requires only extracting the zip file in a desired location.
- If necessary, install the Java JRE and Windows 7 FlexGUI driver.
- Download the latest FlexGUI (32-bit or 64-bit) version, NXP_FlexGUI_PF8x_REV_0.7.x.zip, available at www.nxp.com/KITPF8200FRDMPGM.
- Extract all the files to a desired location on your PC. FlexGUI is started by running the batch file, NXP_FlexGUI_PF8x_Rev_0.7.x\NXP FlexGUI\bin\flexgui-app-pf8xxxx.bat. The FlexGUI Rev 0.7.0 or higher, interfaces with the FRDM-KL25Z freedom board via USB-HID protocol, which should be recognized automatically by the Windows OS eliminating the need for any extra hardware drivers. See UM11162 Section 4.4 "Updating the PF81/82 FlexGUI firmware" for details on how to install or update the FRDM-KL25Z, in case the board is not loaded with the latest firmware and USB-HID support.
4.4 Updating the PF8100/PF8200 FlexGUI firmware
The FRDM-KL25Z freedom board is used as a communication bridge to interface the FlexGUI with the PMIC and other I2C devices. The firmware is organized in three levels:
- At first level, the SDA uses the BOOTLOADER to operate as the main path to flash the functional code of the SDA processor. The BOOTLOADER is preprogrammed on the FRDM-KL25Z freedom boards and cannot be reflashed to avoid permanent damage to the Freedom board.
- At second level, the SDA provides a firmware loader for drag and drop update of the KL25Z MCU firmware.
- At the third level, the KL25Z MCU provides the FlexGUI firmware in charge of converting the USB communication into MCU instructions to control digital I/Os as well as I2C communication to the PMIC. If the FRDM-KL25Z is not loaded with the correct firmware to support a future software upgrade, the firmware can be updated in few simple steps.
Note: The following firmware updates are optional and can be skipped if the firmware is up-to-date.
4.5 Flashing the FRDM-KL25Z firmware loader
- Press the pushbutton on the Freedom board and connect the USB cable into the SDA port on the Freedom board. A new BOOTLOADER device should appear on the left pane of the file explorer.
- Drag and drop the file MSD-DEBUG-FRDM-KL25Z_Pemicro_v118.SDA into the BOOTLOADER drive. File should be located in the KL25Z firmware folder.
- Disconnect and reconnect the USB cable into the SDA port (this time without pressing the pushbutton). A new device called FRDM_KL25Z is installed on the PC.
4.6 Flashing the FlexGUI firmware
If a new software or silicon release requires a firmware update on the FRDM-KL25Z freedom board, use the following procedure to upgrade or downgrade the firmware of the freedom board as needed. Note that this procedure is needed only to update the firmware and may be skipped if no change is needed.
- Connect the USB cable in the SDA port (without holding the pushbutton).
- Locate the ".bin" FlexGUI driver to be installed, for example flexgui-fw-kl25z-usb-hidpf8x00-v0.1.1.bin, drag and drop the file into the FRDM_KL25Z driver.
- Freedom board firmware is successfully loaded.
Now start embedded application development.