3. Install Software
Software for RDGD3162I3PH5EVB is distributed with the FlexGUI tool (available on NXP.com).
Necessary firmware comes pre-installed on the FRDM-KL25Z with the kit.
Even if the user intends to test with other software or PWM, it is recommended to install this
software as a backup or to help debugging.
3.1 Install FlexGUI On Your Computer
The latest version of FlexGUI supports the GD3100, GD3160 and GD3162. It is designed to run on
any Windows 10 or Windows 8 based operating system.
- Go to www.nxp.com/FlexGUI and click Download.
- When the FlexGUI software page appears, click Download and select the version associated
with your PC operating system.
FlexGUI wizard creates a shortcut, an NXP FlexGUI icon appears on the desktop. Installing
the device drivers overwrites any previous FlexGUI installation and replaces
it with a current version containing the GD31xx drivers. However, configuration files (.spi)
from the previous version remain intact.
3.2 Configuring the FRDM-KL25Z Microcode
By default, the FRDM-KL25Z delivered with this kit is preprogrammed with the current and most
up-to-date firmware available for the kit.
A way to check quickly that the microcode is programmed and the board is functioning properly,
is to plug the KL25Z into the computer, open FlexGUI, and verify that the
software version at the bottom is 6.4 or later (see Figure 3).
If a loss of functionality following a board reset, reprogramming or a corrupted data issue, the
microcode is rewritten per the following steps:
- To clear the memory and place the board in bootloader mode, hold down the reset button while
plugging a USB cable into the OpenSDA USB port
- Verify that the board appears as a BOOTLOADER device and continue with step 3. If the board
appears as KL25Z, go to step 6
- Download the Firmware Apps.zip archive from the PEmicro OpenSDA webpage
(http://www.pemicro.com/opensda/). Validate your email address to access the files
- Find the most recent MDS-DEBUG-FRDM-KL25Z_Pemicro_v118.SDA and copy/drag-and-drop into the
- Reboot the board by unplugging and replugging the connection to the OpenSDA port. Verify now
that the device appears as a KL25Z device to continue
- Locate the most recent KL25Z firmware; which is distributed as part of the FlexGUI package
With the KL25Z still plugged through the OpenSDA port, copy/drag-and-drop the .bin file into
the KL25Z device memory. Once done, disconnect the USB and plug into the
other USB port, labeled KL25Z
- FlexGUI download file is named in the form
This .bin file is a product/family-specific configuration file for FRDM-KL25Z containing
the pin definitions, SPI/PWM generation code and pin mapping assignments
necessary to interface with the translator board as part of RDGD3162I3PH5EVB
The FRDM-KL25Z board is now fully set up to work with RDGD3162I3PH5EVB and the FlexGUI
- The device does not appear as a distinct device to the computer while connected through
the KL25Z USB port, which is normal
- There is no software stored or present on either the driver or translator boards, only
on the FRDM-KL25Z MCU board
All uploaded firmware is stored in non-volatile memory until the reset button is hit on the
FRDM-KL25Z. There is no need to repeat this process upon every power up, and
there is no loss of data associated with a single unplug event.