1. Get Started
The NXP analog product development boards provide an easy-to-use platform for evaluating NXP products. The boards support a range of analog, mixed-signal and power solutions. They incorporate monolithic integrated circuits and system-in-package devices that use proven high-volume technology. NXP products offer longer battery life, a smaller form factor, reduced component counts, lower cost and improved performance in powering state-of-the-art systems.
This page will guide you through the process of setting up and using the FRDMGD3100HB8EVM board.
1.1 Kit contents/packing list
The FRDMGD3100HB8EVM contents include:
- Assembled and tested FRDMGD3100HB8EVM board in an anti-static bag
- 3.3 V to 5.0 V GD3100 translator board connected to FRDM-KL25Z
- USB cable, type A male/type mini B male, 3 ft
- 1.27 mm jumpers for configuration (included with kit boards)
- Quick Start Guide
1.2 Additional hardware
In addition to the kit contents, the following hardware is necessary or beneficial when working with this kit.
- Compatible SiC module
- DC link capacitor compatible with the SiC module
- 30 µH to 50 µH, high current air core inductor for double pulse testing
- HV power supply with protection shield and hearing protection
- 25 V, 1.0 A DC power supply
- 500 MHz 2.5 GS/s 4-channel oscilloscope
- Rogowski coil, PEM Model CWT Mini HF60R or CTW MiniHF30 (smaller diameter)
- Isolated high-voltage probe (CAL Test Electric CT2593-1, LeCroy AP030)
- Digital voltmeter
1.3 Windows PC workstation
The kit requires the following to function properly with the software.
- Windows 7 or higher operating system
1.4 User manual
Refer to UM11440, FRDMGD3100HB8EVM half-bridge evaluation board for additional details on the featured components and board configuration.
2. Get to Know the Hardware
2.1 Board features
- Capability to connect to P6 SiC module for half-bridge evaluations
- Negative VEE gate low drive level (−3.9 V DC)
- VCCREG regulated high gate drive level (+15 V DC)
- Jumper configurable for disabling dead time fault protection when short-circuit testing
- Easy access power, ground and signal test points
- Easy to install and use SPIGen GUI for interfacing via SPI through PC; software includes double pulse and short-circuit testing capability
- DC link bus voltage monitor on low-side driver via AMUXIN and AOUT
- Negative temperature coefficient (NTC) connection and configurable for monitoring module temperature
2.2 Board description
The FRDMGD3100HB8EVM is a half-bridge evaluation kit populated with two GD3100 single channel gate drive devices. The kit includes the Freedom KL25Z microcontroller hardware for interfacing a PC installed with SPIGen software for communication to the serial peripheral interface (SPI) registers on the GD3100 gate drive devices in either daisy chain or standalone configuration.
The GD3100 translator board is used to translate 3.3 V signals to 5.0 V signals between the MCU and GD3100 gate drivers. The evaluation kit can be connected to a compatible insulated gate bipolar transistor (IGBT) or SiC module for half-bridge evaluations and applications development.
2.2.1 3.3 V to 5.0 V Translator Board
KITGD3100TREVB translator enables level shifting of signals from MCU 3.3 V to 5.0 V SPI communication.
2.2.2 Kinetis KL25Z Freedom Board
The Freedom KL25Z is an ultra low-cost development platform for Kinetis L series MCU built on Arm Cortex-M0+ processor.
2.3 Board components
Overview of the FRDMGD3100HB8EVM half-bridge evaluation board
2.4 Additional board support
Refer to UM11440, FRDMGD3100HB8EVM half-bridge evaluation board user manual for additional details on the featured components.
3. Configure the Hardware
FRDMGD3100HB8EVM is connected to a GD3100 translator board and a FRDM-KL25Z board. Double pulse and short-circuit testing can be conducted using Windows based PC with SPIGen software.
Suggested equipment needed for test:
- Rogowski coil high-current probe
- High-voltage differential voltage probe
- High sample rate digital oscilloscope with probes
- DC link capacitor
- SiC MOSFET P6 module
- Windows based PC
- High-voltage DC power supply for DC link voltage
- Low-voltage DC power supply for VSUP – +12 V DC gate drive board low-voltage domain
- Voltmeter for monitoring high-voltage DC link supply
- Load coil for double pulse and short-circuit testing
3.1 Additional board support
Refer to UM11440, FRDMGD3100HB8EVM half-bridge evaluation board user manual for additional details on the hardware configuration.
4. Install Software
Software for FRDMGD3100HB8EVM is distributed with the SPIGen GUI tool (available on NXP.com). Necessary firmware comes pre-installed on the FRDM-KL25Z with the kit.
Even if the user intends to test with other software or PWM, it is recommended to install this software as a backup or to help debugging.
4.1 Installing SPIGen on your computer
The latest version of SPIGen supports the GD3100 and is designed to run on any Windows 10, Windows 8 or Windows 7 based operating system. To install the software, do the following:
- Go to www.nxp.com/SPIGen and click Download.
- When the SPI generator (SPIGen) software page appears, click Download and select the version associated with your PC operating system.
If instructed for the SPIGen wizard to create a shortcut, an SPIGen icon appears on the desktop. By default, the SPIGen executable file is installed at C:\Program Files (x86)\SPIGen.
Installing the device drivers overwrites any previous SPIGen installation and replaces it with a current version containing the GD3100 drivers. However, configuration files (.spi) from the previous version remain intact.
4.2 Configuring the FRDM-KL25Z microcode
By default, the FRDM-KL25Z delivered with this kit is preprogrammed with the current and most up-to-date firmware available for the kit.
A way to check quickly that the microcode is programmed and the board is functioning properly, is to plug the KL25Z into the computer, open SPIGen and verify that the software version at the bottom is 5.4.7.
If a loss of functionality occurs following a board reset, reprogramming or you experience a corrupted data issue, the microcode may be rewritten per the following steps:
- To clear the memory and place the board in boot loader mode, hold down the reset button while plugging a USB cable into the OpenSDA USB port.
- Verify that the board appears as a BOOTLOADER device and continue with step 3. If the board appears as KL25Z, you may go to step 6.
- Download the Firmware Apps .zip archive from the PEmicro OpenSDA webpage (http://www.pemicro.com/opensda/). Validate your email address to access the files.
- Find the most recent MDS-DEBUG-FRDM-KL25Z_Pemicro_v***.SDA and copy/drag-and-drop into the BOOTLOADER device.
- Reboot the board by unplugging and replugging the connection to the OpenSDA port. Verify now that the device appears as a KL25Z device to continue.
Locate the most recent KL25Z firmware; which is distributed as part of the SPIGen package.
- a. From the SPIGen install directory, which is located in the SPI Dongle Firmware folder and is named in the form “UsbSPIDongleKL25Z_GD3100_v***.srec”.
- b. This .srec file is a product/family-specific configuration file for FRDM-KL25Z containing the pin definitions, SPI/PWM generation code and pin mapping assignments necessary to interface with the translator board as part of FRDMGD3100HB8EVM.
With the KL25Z still plugged through the OpenSDA port, copy/drag-and-drop the .srec file into the KL25Z device memory. Once done, disconnect the USB and plug into the other USB port, labeled KL25Z.
- a. The device may not appear as a distinct device to the computer while connected through the KL25Z USB port, this is normal.
The FRDM-KL25Z board is now fully set up to work with FRDMGD3100HB8EVM and the SPIGen GUI.
- a. There is no software stored or present on either the driver or translator boards, only on the FRDM-KL25Z MCU board.
All uploaded firmware is stored in non-volatile memory until the reset button is hit on the FRDM-KL25Z. There is no need to repeat this process upon every power up and there is no loss of data associated with a single unplug event.
4.3 Additional board support
Refer to UM11440, FRDMGD3100HB8EVM half-bridge evaluation board user manual for additional software details.
4.4 Ready to use
Begin embedded application development.
5. Learn more
5.1 Product summary page
View the product summary page for GD3100 http://www.nxp.com/GD3100.
5.2 Tool summary page
View the tool summary page for FRDMGD3100HB8EVM board.
The page provides overview information, technical and functional specifications, ordering information, documentation and software. The Get Started guide provides quick-reference information applicable to using the FRDMGD3100HB8EVM board, including the downloadable assets.
In addition to our GD3100: Advanced single-channel gate driver for Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistors (IGBTs) page, you may also want to visit:
5.4 Buy the board
FRDMGD3100HB8EVM: Half-bridge evaluation board featuring GD3100 gate driver