2. Get to Know the Hardware
2.1 Board Features
- Capability to connect to HybridPACK drive module for half-bridge evaluations
- Adjustable negative VEE gate low drive level (0 V to -10 V DC)
- Adjustable VCC gate high drive level (10 V to 25 V DC)
- Jumper configurable for disabling dead time fault protection when short-circuit testing
- Easy access power, ground and signal test points
- Easy to install and use FlexGUI for interfacing via SPI through PC; software includes double pulse and short-circuit testing capability
- DC link bus voltage monitor on low-side driver via AMUXIN and AOUT
- Negative or positive temperature coefficient connection and configurable for monitoring module temperature
2.2 Board Description
The FRDMGD3162HBIEVM is a half-bridge evaluation kit populated with two GD3162 single channel gate drive devices. The kit includes the Freedom KL25Z microcontroller
hardware for interfacing a PC installed with FlexGUI software for communication to the serial peripheral interface (SPI) registers on the GD3162 gate drive devices in
either daisy chain or standalone configuration.
The KITGD316XTREVB translator board is used to translate 3.3 V signals to 5.0 V signals between the MCU and GD3162 gate drivers. The evaluation kit can be connected to
a compatible IGBT or SiC module for half-bridge evaluations and applications development.
2.3 Board Components
Overview of the FRDMGD3162HBIEVM board
2.3.1 Kinetis KL25Z Freedom Board
The Freedom KL25Z is an ultra low-cost development platform for Kinetis L series MCU built on Arm Cortex-M0+ processor.
Figure 1. Freedom development platform
2.3.2 3.3 V to 5.0 V Translator Board
KITGD316XTREVB translator enables level shifting of signals from MCU 3.3 V to 5.0 V SPI communication.
Figure 2. 3.3 V to 5.0 V translator board
Table 1. Translator board jumper definitions
||selects 5.0 V for 5.0 V compatible gate drive
||selects 3.3 V for 3.3 V compatible gate drive
||selects PWM high-side control from KL25Z MCU
||selects PWM high-side control from fiber optic receiver inputs
||selects PWM low-side control from KL25Z MCU
||selects PWM low-side control from fiber optic receiver inputs