4.1 Preparing graphical user interface operating environment
Download and run SW for the KITPF8101FRDMEVM or the KITPF8201FRDMEVM.
These evaluation boards use FlexGUI software for PF8101/PF8201 device.
Prior to the installation of the FlexGUI software and performing device firmware updates (if needed),
download and unzip the NXP_FlexGUI_PF8x_REV_0.7.x.zip file to any desired location.
4.3 Installing FlexGUI software package
The FlexGUI software installation requires only extracting the zip file in a desired location.
- If necessary, install the Java JRE and Windows 7 FlexGUI driver.
- Download the latest FlexGUI (32-bit or 64-bit) version, NXP_FlexGUI_PF8x_REV_0.7.x.zip.
- Extract all the files to a desired location on your PC. FlexGUI is started by running the batch
file, NXP_FlexGUI_PF8x_Rev_0.7.x\NXP FlexGUI\bin\flexgui-app-pf8xxxx.bat.
The FlexGUI Rev 0.7.0 or higher, interfaces with the FRDM-KL25Z freedom board
via USB-HID protocol which should be recognized automatically by the Windows OS
eliminating the need for any extra hardware drivers. Refer to UM11213 Section 5.4 "Updating the
PF8101/PF8201 FlexGUI firmware" for details on how to update the FRDM-KL25Z, in
case the board is not loaded with the latest firmware with USB-HID support.
4.4 Updating the PF8101/PF8201 FlexGUI firmware
The FRDM-KL25Z freedom board is used as a communication bridge to interface the
FlexGUI with the PMIC and other I2C devices. The firmware is organized in three levels:
At first level, the SDA uses the BOOTLOADER to operate as the main path to flash
the functional code of the SDA processor. The BOOTLOADER is preprogrammed
on the FRDM-KL25Z freedom boards and cannot be reflashed to avoid permanent
damage to the Freedom board.
At second level, the SDA provides a firmware loader for drag and drop update of the
KL25Z MCU firmware.
At the third level, the KL25Z MCU provides the FlexGUI firmware in charge of
converting the USB communication into MCU instructions to control digital I/Os as well
as I2C communication to the PMIC.
If the FRDM-KL25Z is not loaded with the correct firmware to support a future software upgrade, the
firmware can be updated in few simple steps.
4.5 Flashing the FRDM-KL25Z firmware loader
1. Press the push button on the Freedom board and connect the USB cable into the
SDA port on the Freedom board. A new BOOTLOADER device should appear on the
left pane of the file explorer.
2. Drag and drop the file MSD-DEBUG-FRDM-KL25Z_Pemicro_v118.SDA into the
BOOTLOADER drive. File should be located in the KL25Z firmware folder.
3. Disconnect and reconnect the USB cable into the SDA port (this time without pressing the push button).
A new device called FRDM_KL25Z is installed on the PC.
4.6 Flashing the FlexGUI firmware
If a new software or silicon release requires a firmware update on the FRDM-KL25Z freedom board, use the
following procedure to upgrade or downgrade the firmware of the freedom board as needed. Note that this
procedure is needed only to update the firmware and may be skipped if no change is needed.
1. Connect the USB cable in the SDA port (without holding the push button).
2. Locate the ".bin" FlexGUI driver to be installed, for example flexgui-fw-kl25z-usb-hidpf8x00-
v0.1.1.bin, drag and drop the file into the FRDM_KL25Z driver.
3. Freedom board firmware is successfully loaded.